Black-Garlic Balsamic-Vinegar-Ice-Cream (Sous-Vide)


This is one of those recipes that leave you flabbergasted because it turned out so well. Going into this, I had my doubts, but it exceeded all of our expectations. To say it was a leap of faith is also an understatement. It was more of a serendipitous event than anything else


It all starts out with a great Ice-Cream-Base which can be found HERE




I know it's crazy, but I made some homemade Black-Garlic which took 12 days and then another 4-5 day to dehydrate. If you are going to make this ice-cream, it gonna take dedication and commitment. Let's not forget that when you make the Black-Garlic your wife needs to warned of the smell, so let her know what to expect and ask for forgiveness ahead of time. 

Let's make the Balsamic Vinegar Reduction. There's no link for that because it is so dang easy! Using a Saucier pan add one cup of Balsamic Vinegar and reduce by 20%. Add a dash of salt and one-half cup of Sugar and reduce another 30% or until syrupy. You will have to eye-ball-it and make sure not to burn or reduce too much. Cool off and place in a suitable container like the one in the photo. Place in refrigerator until ready to use. Please use a whisk!

Step 1- Place Base in prepared Ice-Bath.

Step 2- Sprinkle in about 1-Tbsp and whisk and taste.

Step 3- Keep adding Black-Garlic (1-tsp at a time) until you get it right. I used about 3 Tbsp. 

Step 4- Whisk until thoroughly combined. 

When the base is cool enough, cover and refrigerate until ready to churn. 


About 20 minutes before I started churning the Ice-Cream, I stuck the Balsamic Vinegar in the freezer to make it very cold and thick. I drizzled in about 2 Tbsp so the entire base would have the Balsamic Vinegar flavor. 


I churned the Ice-Cream for a total of 28 minutes. 

These are the steps.........Make sure the Balsamic Vinegar is extremely cold before adding. I used Chopsticks to swirl into the Base. I placed the BV in the freezer for about 20 minutes or so. 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math