Pina-Colada Ice-Cream (Sous-Vide)


I've wanted to make Pina-Colada Ice Cream for a while now, but it was not until I ran across this liqueur that it all came together. My culinary process starts out with the idea that over time, which means days and weeks eventually reaches fruition. 


And for those of us that remember the song HERE YOU GO!!!!

 
Pina Colada Ice-Cream needs Coconut so I did some research on the different products and this is what I found. 

Coconut Cream, Cream of Coconut and Coconut milk are all different. 




I decided to use Coconut Cream for a few reasons. 

1- It is unsweetened
2- The fat percentage is likened to Heavy Cream. 





 I am not going to describe the entire process of measuring or making the Ice-Cream because it's identical to my other recipes. The only difference is the use of Cream of Coconut instead of Heavy Cream. The fat percentage is virtually the same. 


Make this sauce many hours before or the day before you serve the Ice-Cream. 

Add the first 5 ingredients to a saucepan and while stirring (use Whisk) bring to a boil. Now lower the flame and simmer until the mixture is reduced by 50%. Stir occasionally. When you are happy with the viscosity set aside. Set in an ice bath to cool. After it has cooled below 150f add the next two ingredients and whisk until combined. Place in Squirt bottle and refrigerate until ready to serve. 
This is strictly optional, but I thought some sweetened shredded Coconut was needed. Yes, I could have bought the sweetened version, but I did not like the listed ingredients. The amounts listed on the scale are arbitrary but it worked. 

Toast the Coconut a bit then add Palm Sugar. When it's toasted to your satisfaction set aside and cool. If you are going to add this to the Ice-Cream, make sure it's frigid. 

I chose to add some sweetened Shredded Coconut to the Ice-Cream while churning.


When done churning stick in the freezer for 6-8 hours. The 70 ml of Rum liqueur makes this easy to scoop out. Very creamy!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math