KD's Ice-Cream-Base (Sous-Vide)

This may be my first post on Ice-Cream, but this is not my first time making Ice-Cream. I've been making Ice-Cream for over 25 years but only recently started diving into all the particulars. 

I plan to discuss how to make my base using two methods, which are Stove-Top and Sous-Vide-Processing. That's right, you heard me Sous-Vide-Processed Ice-Cream. Much easier to do and less clean up. Precise temperature control, and you don't have to strain out your base when done.




Let's first dive into my ingredients just a bit. Use the best you can get! This is the company I use for dairy in the NW. Only top-notch for my Ice-Cream. Low Pasteurization and just flavorful. It reminds me of the milk I drank as a kid! Simply wonderful. 

Skim-Milk-Powder- Issues that arise while making Ice-Cream is the proliferation of Ice-Crystals. Many commercial Ice-Cream makers use Skim-Milk-Powder to mitigate the effects of high percentages of water in Ice-Cream bases. Milk contains about 85-95% of water and Heavy Cream, about 50-60%. Obviously, you need water to freeze Ice-Cream, but too much will create ice-crystals, and that creamy smooth ice-cream you want so much will suffer. 

Skim-milk-Powder or Dry-Milk-Powder is obviously dry and will absorb excess water and give a milkier and creamier product. I use Skim-Milk-Powder instead of Dry-Milk because it is regulated, and I am assuming it will be a better product. I reduced the amount of Milk and Cream and replaced it with a small amount of Skim-Milk-Powder. If you want to use this method and your own base, just subtract a percentage of the wet ingredients and use the Powder. 

I did not come up with this technique but modified a couple of recipes to suit my needs. I'll post a great video at the bottom that explains it all. I also use Avacream, which is an Ice-Cream Stabilizer, although less because of the SM-Powder. Give it a google. My recipe ratios create a great base. You can make many crazy unique recipes using this Ice-Cream-Base but be aware that if you use ingredients that contain high percentages of moisture, you might need to reduce milk percentage and increase Skim-Milk-Powder. 

Sous-Vide Method
Have you ever made a Cream-Anglaise? It's basically an ice-cream base but without freezing. 




Use a batter bowl, please. You can do all your prep work here, and it's easier to pour out the ingredients. 




Add the egg yolks and half the sugar. Whip until the ribbon stage. If you skip this part, your Ice-Cream will not be airy and light.

Use a scale and divide the sugar. The recipe calls for 143 g of Sugar... I used 70g  and 73g.



It should look pretty close to this when you get done whipping.....We call this the Ribbon stage.





I used a scale with a tare feature. Very useful. Add your Milk and Cream and whisk until combined. 







Toss in your Vanilla and mix thoroughly.


In a separate bowl using a scale, mix together...the remaining sugar, Skim-Milk-Powder, Avacream, and Salt. Add this to the bowl containing everything else and mix.







Place Vac Bag in a large jar and pour in Ice-Cream Base.





These are the steps...pretty simple. Using the displacement method Sous-Vide-Process for at 150f for 2-hours. After the elapsed time pour into the original batter bowl and shock with ice-water. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before you churn.


Note: If I had a Chamber Vac this would be much easier. That's on my list of purchases. I plan on getting the VP321, but I need to find a spot for it to sit on. It's pretty dang big. Anyhow, if I had Vac Packed with a Chamber Vac-Bag, I would have cooled off the bag alone in an ice bath. 

Stove Top method is easy too. Whip your eggs yolks until the ribbon stage, as described above, and set aside. 
In a saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients except for Vanilla Extract. Add the Vanilla paste or a Scarped Vanilla bean instead. Using a hand mixer or whisk mix until smooth.

Now using a candy thermometer that clips to the side of pan heat everything on a low-med flame. Cook stirring often making sure to scrape the bottom until the mixture reaches 110-120f degrees..... remove from heat source. 

Tempering the eggs- While whisking, slowly pour in about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture to temper the eggs. Continue whisking until the color evens out, and the mixture is smooth. Now pour this mixture into the remaining milk and whisk on a low-med flame until you reach 165f, and you can coat the back of a spoon. It should take 5-10 minutes. Do not exceed 175f degrees. 

Pour the Ice-Cream Base through a wired mesh (Chinoise or sieve) into the batter bowl. Add vanilla extract and whisk. Place in a prepared ice bath and occasionally whisk to cool off. Cover and refrigerate at least 6 hours before you churn.


The steps in this recipe are no different from my other Ice-Cream concoctions. For this recipe, you will need a Mixer, and if you have a Vitamix even better. 



I now use my Vitamix for all my Ice-Cream recipes, which makes it so easy. I Sous-Vide-Processed everything at 150f at 2 hours.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math