Sous-Vide-Processed 6-Inch 18-oz Burger


OP May 2019- I've made many Sous-Vide-Processed Burgers, but these came out, extra-special. I used my Special Umami-Powder with Black Pepper and a BBQ-Rub. Use the flavor enhancer in conjunction with your favorite herbs and spices, and it turns something basic into something extortionary. 


I'll post a couple of links to my other burgers, which give more detail......Link #1 and Link #2. These Burgers were Sous-Vide-Processed at 131.5℉ for 2.75 hours. From Frozen, I would have added an extra 45 minutes. 

Just out of the bath.... they are SV-Processed in stainless steel molds to retain shape. The Burgers are shocked in Cold-Water for about 5 minutes to mitigate the possibility of overcooking during sear.









At this step, the Burgers are dried off, and a schmear of mayo is used. This helps with the application of herbs and spices. Go big or go home.... 6-inch vs. a 4-inch. 





I really dislike big buns or thick burgers. I might have a big mouth, but that doesn't mean I want to bite into a massive burger. This a large hunk of bread has been hollowed out to accommodate toppings.


To say that I have pet peeves is an understatement. Indulge me for a moment while I rant a bit. When it comes to burgers, I have needs, wants, and requirements., I don't like tiny burgers. I don't like fat or stacked monsters burgers either. And I don't like stacked burgers. I love 8 oz burger patties that are not to thick. From 1-inch to about 1 3/8-inch of an inch is about as big I am willing to go. What's the point of eating a 4-inch patty that is 2 inches thick? A fat burger with less surface caramelization sucks. That being said, I have eaten some burgers that have been stacked with thin patties that were awesome, but overall I am, against really thick burgers. If I can't get my mouth around the dang thing, I am out. One last thing and I will be done..... the bun has to be the same diameter as the burger. 

 For Sous-Vide-Processed Burgers, you need a really hot pan to create a great sear.
 I love Cheese!!!!!!!!!
 Don't forget the bun has been hollowed out......










And yes to two things... I ate the whole thing, and I was able to get my mouth around the entire thing. The bread was hollowed out, so it made it easy to eat! 

UPDATE: I now use a Step-Down-Cooling-Method created by CREA. The SDCM increases moisture retention and improves texture. After processing, place protein on the counter for 10-15-Minutes and rotate and flip a few times. At this point, you are ready for the sear, and the SDCM also mitigated overcooking too. Storing for later use- Place in a large container with cold water from the tap for 10-15-Minutes followed by lots of ICE. After temp has lowered place sufficiently in the refrigerator.












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math