SOUS-VIDE BURGERS (First Attempt)

This is my first attempt (05/2015)(Second attempt HERE) at Sous-Vide Burgers. I was super excited about SV burgers because, thus far, I have had great success with this style of cooking. Before attempting burgers, I did a lot of reading and research on the subject, and one consistent complaint was that vacuum-sealed burgers get sh-mushed in the bag. Well, the solution to that problem was quite elementary. I vacuumed sealed the burgers in the molds. Problem solved!!! I went with 5 inches Molds that are 15/16" thick and will hold a 12-ounce burger. I say go big or go home.  





This process can't get any simpler than this. Since this was an experiment, I used store-bought Black Angus 80/20 beef.  In the next few weeks or so, I will be playing around with my own blend. Anyhow I measured out 10 ounces of meat and lightly pressed them into the molds. I used deli wax paper to help with the process. The molds were placed in the freezer for about 10 minutes to secure burger meat. After the quick deep freeze, I vacuumed sealed them up in the molds. Sealing them in the molds will help keep their shape during the cook. Note: the meat is never pre-seasoned—just meat in a mold. If you preseason the meat, it will become too dense.

Burgers cooked at 133 degrees for about 3 hours. At 2 1/4 hours, they will be Pasteurized too. Don't they look beautiful? 


Yes, this is a rhetorical question because I know they look great. 


Note: If eating right away, shock in cold tap water for 5-8 minutes. This will mitigate overcooking during the sear. 

UPDATE: I now use a Step-Down-Cooling-Method created by CREA. The SDCM increases moisture retention and improves texture. After processing, place protein on the counter for 10-15-Minutes (based on thickness) and rotate and flip a few times. At this point, you are ready for the sear, and the SDCM also mitigated overcooking too. 

Storing for later use- Place in a large container for 10-15 minutes flipping at least once.  Then add cold water from the tap for another 10-15-Minutes followed by lots of ICE. After temp has lowered place sufficiently in the refrigerator. 


If you are starting at refrigerator temps, I would suggest retherming using your
IC unit (again based on thickness). 


Dried off and ready for the sear. 


Perfect beyond measure!!!! I seared the burgers in a smoking hot skillet with some Montreal Steak seasoning. 

Note: Seasoning the burgers before bath will make them tough IMO, and doing it afterward creates a great crust. 

What would I do differently? Maybe use a custom blend. Maybe try a 6-inch ring/mold and go for a 16 oz burger with custom buns. Refrigerate meat overnight and then Sear over hot coals for intense flavor. 

This burger had the best texture I have ever eaten in a burger before!!! Sous-Vide is the way to go for burgers.  








TOP OF THE BURGER PAGE



Update- I prefer 131.5f.  Pasteurization will take place at 2 3/4 hours. 





MORE PICS BELOW





4 INCH PATTY







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math