Sous-Vide Meat-Loaf in a 5-Inch Casing

(OP-7 Years ago) That's right you read the post correctly I am making Meatloaf using a circulator!!!! I have been wanting to do this for a while now.....Nah..... more like brooding over how I was going to make a Meatloaf via a Sous-Vide. How was I going to vacuum seal a hunk of meat (look in the corner of your screen) that could keep some semblance of a meatloaf? I mulled over various techniques to Sous-Vide a meatloaf but all fell short of what I thought would be adequate or noteworthy. Then I had a culinary epiphany or maybe it was a flash of light....ahhh....who cares but I remembered I made a Salami (link) using a very large casing that was waterproof. I used my Sous-Vide machine to cook it too so why not do the same for my meatloaf. Let the games begin. I used my Meatloaf recipe (Link) which is incredible if I do say myself and is perfect for this endeavor so I knew it going to taste great. So this is what I did. 
I made my normal meatloaf and shoved it into my sausage stuffer. This baby can hold 15 lbs and my meatloaf came in at 8.15 lbs (3700 g) so it had no problem. 

I used high barrier casings to stuff the meat because they are waterproof and can be used in the Sou-Vide. Don't forget you need special tools to seal casings.


I also vacuumed sealed the high barrier casing (in a vacuum bag) because I don't trust casings. During the cook time just an ounce or two spilled into the vacuum bag. Unbeknownst to me, I pricked the casing. I Sous-Vide the Meatloaf for 14.5 at 58˚c (136.4˚ƒ). Note: the 14.5 is my estimate for pasteurization) After the Sv process, I shocked the Meatloaf for 7 hours in an Ice-Bath and refrigerated the meat for two days. Obviously, I did not need to do that but I wanted to eat it on Sunday not Friday.


The Meatloaf had been refrigerated and surely could not be eaten cold so I brought up the circulator up to 58˚c and heated the meatloaf entirely through. It took about 6 hours to bring it up to temp (not recommended by the FDA). 

I pierced the casing and drained most of the fat and purge into a bowl and used it for gravy. 









SEARZALL to dry the surface.



I coated the Meatloaf with a Balsamic reduction mixed with Ketchup and finished it up with the Searzall. More pictures below with Review.












Review- Outstanding!!! Because of fragility concerns you have to be extremely meticulous when handling and transferring the meat. I might try this again with smaller casings. I will make several of them and freeze. Very easy to do and lots of fun too. 
MEATLOAF SANDWICH



Update 11/2/2016- Below is an alternate way to make Sous-Vide Meat-Loaf. I Sous-Vide the Meat-Loaf in the pans double vacuumed sealed for 6 hours at 145˚ƒ. 


After the SV process I gave the Pans a quick dip in an ice-bath to drop temp down quickly. The ML was then un-molded and smeared with a Ketchup, Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Sugar topping. I cranked up my Weber Genesis to 700˚ƒ plus degrees and finished them in about 5 minutes. 


AMAZING!!!!! 









All cooked







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math