Black & Blue Ice-Cream (Sous-Vide)


If you don't like Blue-Cheese stop reading and seek a palate and tastebud overhaul. Blue-Cheese is the bomb!!! Have you ever heard of a Black & Blue Steak? Who doesn't like Crumbled Blue Cheese on their burgers? OMG!!! This was pure genius and freaking amazing. It's equal to hitting 3 grand slams in one game. 

But before I begin, I want to address this.........
Let's talk about the elephant in the post before I proceed to the recipe. Yea, yea I am going to address the spelling because I have no doubt some unenlightened person will try to tell me that I misspelled the word. Pontification has run rampant all over the net and which corresponds to anonymity hidden behind the keyboard. I call them the Key-Board-Warriors. Sorry for the rant. Moving on now.....

I'd be remiss if I did not admit to you all that I too believed at one time the correct spelling was Bleu and not Blue, but it turns out I was wrong. I won't dive into a lot of history, but you can look it up yourself if you doubt me. The term "Blue Cheese" predates "Bleu Cheese" by a few hundred years (the 1700's). The spelling of "Bleu Cheese" did not show up until the 20th Century in the 1940s and officially I believe till the 1950s.



Place the egg yolk in a bowl with 73 grams of white sugar and using a whisk mix until the ribbon stage.


I love my Vitamix, and this has become my SOP for measuring out everything. You can use any mixer you want. Using the tare feature on the scale measure everything starting with the dairy. All in all, my preference is weight to volume when measuring ingredients. Of course, there are exceptions. 

I'm going to be very specific, so please pay careful attention. After you add the dairy add this... Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Paste, and finally the 300g of Blue Cheese and mix until thoroughly mixed. Taste and keep tasting. In fact, I would suggest adding the first 100 grams and keep adding in 25-gram increments of Blue Cheese until you are happy.

This will work with any base Ice-Cream but here is My BASE Ice-Cream.

 I recommend increments because you might choose a different blue cheese and the flavor profile might be different.  

Now add your the Egg mixture that was whipped to the ribbon stage.





In a separate bowl, weigh out all the dry ingredients. 

Now in increments add this to the Vitamix bowl and process until perfectly combined. 

Now add the Ice-Cream-Base to the Vac Bag. 



These pics are just for reference and don't contain the above ingredients. Using the displacement method submerge bag and SV-Process for 2 hours at 150f. 


After the two hours have elapsed place in bowl and shock in ice-water. Refrigerate until ready to churn. 

This is so easy to do because it's just a method and not much of a recipe. How did I compute 730 grams? Well, that's what two baskets of BlackBerries weigh. From there, I added this and that until I got the flavor, I wanted. Anyhow, place BlackBerries in a saucepan with water, sugar, Lemon Juice salt, and sugar in simmer on low. Everything will start to break down. 

It takes a while, so be patient. I used a rigid whisk to aid in the effort. Press down on the berries with the whisk. You will know they are done when it tastes good and when the berries have softened a bit. Keep tasting.... adjust to suit your palate. 




Process until nice and smooth.



While the machine is running, add the Xanthan gum. This will change the viscosity a bit and make it slightly thick. This will help when we add it to the base to create a swirl. 




Pour into a bowl using a sieve to push out all the seeds. Use the spatula to aid in this. You want this to be smooth. 

All done...

Place in a squeeze bottle. 









Churn your Ice-Cream















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math