Chicken Medallions, with a Chanterelle mushroom Citrus Sauce

 
It all begins with two chicken breasts bonded together with Transglutaminase (Activa RM aka Meat Glue).  I've been using RM for many years and can be found HERE. I am still organizing my blog, so this is not a complete list. I've glued so many proteins I've lost count. 

This post is not a comprehensive recipe but more of a memory jogger. My blog started out as a food diary, and every once in a while, I do something exceptional, and it compels me to record what I did. The wife or friends will, on occasion, ask me to make something I've done in the past, and I have no recollection. I cook 5x a week, make all kinds of concoctions, and recalling something specific can be challenging. I never make something the same way twice. Someone might say, "Hey, remember that dish that had small chicken circles with potato and mushrooms?" Yeah, without specifics, I would have no clue what dish they were referring to. I've made Chicken Medallions many times before and have used this method to make many dishes. Anyhow on to the post. 

 You will need a very wide plastic wrap. I have two sizes (18" and 24"). For this project, I used the 18" one. Lay plastic wrap across a large cutting board or a pan. This setup makes it easier to roll up. 

Note: I always dry-brine my proteins. Lightly sprinkle with Kosher Salt on both sides of the breasts. A little goes a long way. 

Select two equally sized Chicken Breasts.
1- Using a Powdered Sugar dispenser, sprinkle the Active RM onto the plastic wrap as shown in the picture. 
2- Lay the breast on top of the plastic wrap. 

3- Getting the Activa RM into every nook and cranny is necessary if you want it to form a solid bond. Sprinkle some more on the breast. A mere topical sprinkling won't guarantee that the RM gets into the flaps, so manipulate the breast to ensure it does.  

4- Before placing the second breast on top, do the same as in #3. 

5- Start rolling stretching the plastic wrap to create a tight log. 

6- After about 6-8 Evolutions, this should be adequate. 

7- Hold both ends twisting in the opposite direction to create a perfect Roulade. As you twist, the Roulade will become shorter and have a larger diameter. It will become very dense. Use Butcher twine to tie off. This may take two people. 

8- Vaccum Seal. Refrigerate for a minimum of 24-Hours. Yes, the 24-Hrs is necessary to bind the proteins.

Processed at 146f for 3-Hours. This will ensure pasteurization. I used SV-Probes to ensure the T and T were appropriate. The diameter of the Roulade is 72-mm. After processing, place it on the counter for about 15-Minutes. This will ensure juices are reabsorbed. Now put them in a container with ice-cold-tap water and lots of ice. After approximately 2-Hours refrigerate until ready to use. Consult Dr. Balwdins tables for the shelf life. 

Remove plastic wrap and slice Roulade into .50-.75" medallions. 

Set up the breading station. Breading and seasoning are up to you. You can go down the path of Italian like I did or maybe choose Greek or Asian. After breading, place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to set breading.



Fry at 375f unit Golden. Remember, they are already cooked through. 


These are Baked Smashed and Airfried Pots. 

Baked until a knife can slip in easily. Cool briefly and smash gently. Place on pan, top with your favorite fat with some salt and pepper. My favorite fat has to be Schmalz. I also topped it with a Panko Anchovy topping (Recipe)

Air fry until Golden. You can also bake or just fry in a pan. 


This is just one of my favorite sauces. Sautee shallots, and garlic with some butter. Toss in  Chanterelle mushrooms (salt and pepper). Deglaze with some white fruity wine. Add the zest of an orange and a lemon. Squeeze in the juice of 1/4 of a lemon and a whole orange. Taste and adjust from there. I added in more butter to finish the sauce. 
 

Sautee the spinach with butter, shallots, garlic , salt and pepper and finish with some zest from the orange and lemon. Toss 1/4 c of wine to finish. 




















 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math