Sous-Vide Apps & Guides "Should you use them?"

When I first had the inkling to write about Sous-Vide-Apps and guides, I thought they were unworthy. Except for Dr. Baldwins tables, I've found Sous-Vide Apps and most guides untrustworthy. After exploring Apps and guides, the scene from Thor popped into my head. I loved this movie. 

I've written previously about Apps, and I will provide some links down below. 







I used two Ribeyes for my muse that were almost equal in weight and thickness. Using electronic calipers ensures accuracy, which was used to measure the thickness and for probe placement. 

I will not include much detail about the process used to make these Ribeyes because this post has a different subject matter. However, I must admit they were scrumptious. If you are curious about specifics, I wrote about this method here.. "Sous-Vide Clash of the Ribeyes (Delta-T vs. Equilibrium)
Click on the image to make it bigger. 




This chart is just a fraction of what I've found across the net, but I wanted to focus on what most people use. 

I used Close-Cell-Foam Tape and Thermoworks probes to monitor the temperatures while the food was processed. Using actual Data helps with the analysis. 


Let's contrast a few of these numbers. The Ribeye that measured 61 mm processed at 136.6 f (Fast-Cook +2c) reached 133f at 01:50:23, and the Hydropro App indicated that it would take 03:47:00. That's a vast difference in time. To pasteurize the surface at 133f, the App noted that it would take 07:45:00, but the pasteurization table noted it would only take 00:57:31 (Remember, we are talking about the surface only). Maybe the App needs fixing because it also said it required the same amount of time to pasteurize the core. 


Back to the Ribeye of 61 mm: The Probes had the protein pasteurized at 02:16:35, but the App required 04:03:00 (Remember, we used 136.6 until 133f was reached). Note: Once protein reached 133f, I held it there not only to pasteurized but to tenderize. 


Let's look at the 58 mm Ribeye: I used an equilibrium method, which means bath and protein will be the same Temperature. The time to reach 133f took 03:45:17; however, the App would not give me a time but cautioned me. The App suggested the Fast-Cook option +2c, which takes 03:26:00, but we have already established these numbers to be erroneous. Now I wanted to know how long it would take to pasteurize Core/Surface and App noted 07:04:00 but using Actual Data, I confirmed it only took 04:42:48. 


Moral of the Story? Don't use the Apps. When I have a question about Temps or Times and don't want to use my probes, I always consult Dr. Baldwins tables. I've contrasted his tables to my Data, and they are on point. 


The Chefsteps App is worse. My way of thinking suggests that every cut has a different Time and Temp requirement, I.e., A Ribeye needs more time and higher temps to render fat, whereas a Fillet only needs to reach equilibrium. No 2-inch steak will EQ in 2-Hours!!! This is my greatest pet peeve when it comes to tables or Apps that give misleading information. I wrote another article on this called "Time to Temp."  According to Dr. Baldwins tables, a 2" steak starting from 41f will take 3.5 hours to come within 1f. So let's say you had a steak placed in a water bath set to 135f, and after two hours, you pulled. It's maybe close to 131f but not even close to 135f, and your eyes will not be able to tell the difference. My article Time to Temp goes on a rant about this very thing. 


Amazing Foods Made Easy like I said earlier, does an excellent job and is worth checking out!! 


I've scoured the net regarding Time and Temps, and I've come away knowing that the vast majority of them are worthless. Many guides present Time and Temps and, on occasion, endeavor to talk about food safety, but this is either misguided, outdated, or plain out of touch with science. I wrote another article on Food Safety to combat lousy information. Even the sites that offer good information on Time and Temp don't offer credible, up-to-date info on Food safety. 


The other apps and guides I included were not gratuitous but showed an apparent disregard for accurate information. I.e., The Anova App is worse than the Chefstep App. They suggested 1-hour for a 1.5"-2" steak and 40-Min for 1" or less. I have many adjectives I would like to use here, but I will reframe and let the reader fill in the blanks. I am super disappionted. 


I am not sure what happened with the Breville/Ployscience website. They did not even bother to use their own App. 


The I-Vide Cooker App is completely useless. I have no words....not true I have plenty, but not for this post. 



If you are just starting out or helping someone get started, I advise you to discourage the Apps and most Guides and stick with Dr. Bladwin's book. And if you get super curious like me, get some SV-Probes. 


I started playing with the method of Sous-vide around 2006 and did not get serious about it until about 2008-2009, but since then, I've dialed in all my Time and Temps, so I rarely consult guides, books, or probe anymore. As you gain more and more experience, it will become second nature. 







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math