Hydropro-Plus (Mini Review) meets a Cowboy Ribeye

This is the maiden voyage of the Hydropro-Plus. Up until now, I have been testing and getting familiar with the features. I love Polyscience products, and I have been using their Chef series Unit since 2009. In 12-years, I've never had an issue, and I use it 2-3x a week. 

When the Hydropro emerged from the box, I knew right from the start that it is professionally designed and meant for some serious cooking. Everything about the unit screams OMG!!! The complete design from top to bottom was executed with precision. What convinced me to buy this unit was not only the probe feature but the design. Is it for the home cook? Yes, if you wanted to buy an all-inclusive top-notch Immersion Circulator, look no further than the Hydro-Pro! If you like using SV-Probes as I do, then this is a must-buy. Let me give you some perspective about using probes. I started using SV-Needle-Probes (Thermoworks) about three-plus years ago, and my initial investment for everything was about $400.00. The price point for the HydroPro is $499.00, and for an extra $100.00 ($599.00), you get probes that allow you to log your cook and monitor the internal temperature. In my opinion, Polyscience could have charged $899+, and I would have been happy. You get so much bang your buck I think this is a steal at $599.00. My first Polyscience Chef series Unit cost me $999.00, so the Hydropro-Plus cost point at $599.00 is exceptionally reasonable. 
Polyscience Chef and Marketing Coordinator David Pietranczyk is one of the reasons why I purchased the Hydropro-Plus. He has been on several podcasts discussing the Unit. My favorite Podcasts are from Darrin Wilson's "Fire & Water Cooking Podcast." And Jason Logsdon's "Amazing Food Made Easy" I will post embed videos down below. Also, THE POLYSCIENCE WEBSITE that features HYDROPRO™ PLUS IMMERSION CIRCULATOR has excellent info and amazing vids. There are eight videos with David explaining all the features. I watched everyone twice. David did a fantastic job describing all elements of the Hydropro!! 

I will briefly explain how to set up using the ToolBox, but David's vids are better. There are 24 pics below. Even though there are 24-pics, which might appear like a daunting task to input, it's not. The whole thing took me 25 seconds, if not less. 

1- The unit is plugged in and gives Current time.
2-Unit is Turned on.
3- Choose
4- Choose between Tender and Tough (can be subjective)
5- More choices.
6- I always use MM. How thick is it? 
7-Duh...
8- Temp times.
9- More temp times 
10-I chose manual (133f)
I like 133f-135f for Ribyes (see Article).
11- Make a choice, although it made no difference what I chose in this case. Tool Box wanted me to Pasteurize because of algorithms.  
12- A warning because of the program and preset algorithms. 
13- Another warning!!! And note it will not allow me to start cook unless I hit fast to cook (which I wanted to do anyway). Fast cook is Delta-T which means bath temp is several degrees above desired core temp of protein (in this case preset to 2c or 3.6f). 
14- Fast Cook is selected. According to the ToolBox, it will take five hours to reach an internal temp of 133f using the fast cook option. I will be using the probe, so I will monitor the temp all the way up. If you were not using a probe, the Tool-Box math has calculated that it will 5 Hours for the internal temp to hit 133f. 
15- Explanation
16- More data 
17 & 18- Water Circulation. It chose Medium, but I changed to Fast. 
19- More Info
20- If you choose to log. Name-Beef
21- Thickness 70 MM
22-Start Logging? IMO- Don't hit this until the probe is in, the bath is at desired temp, and you are about to submerge protein. 
23- Just for the pics, I hit start Log. 
24- Gives you progress.
Note: These pics show how to set up using the toolbox. Below I will give you actual pics that correspond to the Ribeye I cooked. And like I said earlier, David has videos on how to do all of this at the Polyscience link above. There are holding options too. The Hydropro can do many, many things. 




🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩🥩

There's nothing like have a Cowboy-Ribeye to act as a muse for this mini-review of the Hydropro-Plus. I've written a lot about Ribeyes and how to cook them because of the plethora of opinions on processing high-fat proteins. . Ribeyes are one of the most flavorful cuts IMO. So let me briefly explain what I would typically do to process a Ribeye before proceeding with the review. 


This guideline is only for the Ribeye- I would generally Warm-Age @113f for a few hours following a cook at 133f. What always works for me, and I get consistent results, is to process to an internal temp of 133f (Equilibrium method) than holding it at that temp for another 2-3 hours to tenderize (Based on thickness). If you consult, Baldwins Tables a 70-MM protein will take 5.75-Hrs to pasteurize at 133f. Fortunately for me, this is not my first rodeo. A while back, I processed a Ribeye that was 72.9 mm, and it took 04:48:34 to equalize and achieve a 6.5 Log Reduction. 

Maiden Voyage of the HydroPro-plus- I used the Sous-Vide toolbox to access the fast cook (Delta-T) setting (You can also select Manual Mode and choose your own numbers). So what’s a fast cook? This requires a probe and comes with this unit and processes the protein at 2c or 3.6f above the desired core temp. This is called the DELTA-T cooking method, in which the water bath temperature is higher than the desired final core temperature. I processed this 70mm 3 lb Ribeye using the fast-cooked feature. The destined core temp was 133f (my go-to for most ribeyes), and the bath temp was set at 136.6f.  

Why would you want to use Delta-T? To achieve Faster cooking times, Textual differences, and substantial diameter proteins to reach safer internal temps in an appropriate amount of time. Cooking Delta-T could save you up to 35-50% in time.

The protein was pulled at 133f (the sounding of an alarm). It was processed for 03:05:09. After the alarm, I placed it on the counter for 10-Minutes to rest before the sear. Note: The Toolbox indicated that it would take 05:00:00 to reach 133f.

Big Note: Using the Delta-T (Fast-Cook) and processing further to tenderize requires you to do the following. When the protein comes within .5º degrees of your desired internal temp, you could lower bath temp with cold water or ice and continue processing. Caution- If there is a big difference between the bath and desired I.T, the carry-over cooking could impede your timing.

Using the Fast Cook option (Delta-T) produced one of the best Ribeyes I have ever cooked. Again you can replicate all of this without using the Toolbox by choosing the Manual Mode. I briefly wrote about Delta-T cooking HERE. This method will most likely be my modus-operandi. 

Allow me to contrast this Ribeye with a 72.9mm Ribeye that took 04:48:34 to reach 133f and was processed until 07:25:00 to achieve the same tenderness I achieved with the method outlined above. NOTE: I’m still working through the settings. This Unit enables you to conform to HACCP Standards. If you are using the Toolbox and select a Temp that does not fit the algorithms, the Unit will not allow you to proceed or may give an option to use the Fast-Cook Option.

Note: I will play around with several Ribeyes, all cooked simultaneously using different methods to nail down what will be the ultimate Ribeye. But that being said, this steak was freaking amazing. Heck, I have 3 probes and 7 immersion circulators, so let the games begin.

Let me address one issue I have, and that's the Toolbox app. I've been playing around with this app on my phone and iPad for years. It's been my experience when the thickness gets above about 1.25", the Time is not very accurate. I dedicated an article To this very issue HERE. My opinions about the Toolbox are limited to proteins. I've been using SV probes for over 3-Years and found that the app's suggested times are not very reliable for proteins.

The Toolbox and this Ribeye- 70mm, Fresh, Fast-Cook 136.6f and Internal temp of 133f would take 05:00:00. It only took 03:05:09. What's the issue? If I was relying on time only, I would have waited until 05:00:00. The internal temp would have been closer to 136f. The time was off by over 40%.

At the very bottom of this review, I will give you my wish list.

How did this Ribeye come out? As I said earlier, it was freaking awesome!! I've cooked Delta-T many times before, but I never considered doing it with a Ribeye. I usually reserved this method for larger diameter proteins. Anyhow the fat and connective tissues rendered down very nicely; you can tell how the fibrils felt between your teeth that there were some textual differences with every bite, which made it a joy to eat. Every bite was succulent and delectable. I think I achieved similar results on longer cooks, but the trade-off could be additional moisture loss. A side-by-side test is needed to confirm. 












Other Screenshots!!!!!

Foam Tape Review-The one Polyscience includes with the Hydropro is top-notch. Very dense, and the adhesive sticks very well. The Thermoworks Foam is also great, but I think the adhesive on the Polyscience version is just a smidgen better. The CREA one is just terrible. Not Dense at all, and the adhesive is terrible. I've had to use glue, and I still have issues.

Final Review and my Wish list: First, if you can only buy one I.C, look no further than the Hydropro!!! If you are thinking about using SV-Probes, then I cannot imagine wanting or purchasing anything else. 


My wish list is indicative of a home-cook and may not be necessary for a commercial kitchen. 


My Geeky Nerdy side has needs, and with that, see below. 


When utilizing the Delta-T cooking method, it would be incredibly convenient and desirable if the software could lower the bath temperature as the ascending temperature reaches the desired internal temperature to achieve bath and protein equilibrium. This would be helpful for extended cooks that are needed to tenderize. I.e., Protein cooks at 136.6f for 03:09:05 to reach 133f, but then the I.C intuitively lowers the temp to 133f and cooks for another 3-Hrs. However, because of all the variables, I doubt this could be done. 


I wish my phone could receive alerts too. The Bluetooth option is to down-loading logs only. It does not log bath temps. You cannot control temp through the app. 


Let talk about logs. If you want to cool your food in an ice bath and continue logging, you must do the following. Remove food from the cooking vessel and place it in an ice bath. So very simple, but there is a but. You can't stop the cook. That means the unit will run in the tub until you ready to stop the cook. This is not a big deal!!! My thought would be to have the option to stop the cook but not the logging. The water would stop heating and circulating, but logging would continue after the protein has cooled sufficiently; you would then stop the logging. 


I think having Wi/Fi is another Geez whiz option for the nerds in us. The unit could receive updates, and maybe your phone could receive alerts beyond Bluetooth. For $10 bucks, they could have included Wi/fi that way, it could receive Firmware updates. This app needs a plethora of updates and improvements. 


My needs and wants probably don't coincide with a professional kitchen, so that's why I called this a wish list. 


While penning this review, I have already processed 20 proteins using the Hydropro-plus!!! I love this unit!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math