Doshers Arancini & Suppli

This brings me back to my early childhood (I'm almost 56). My Grandfather is from Sicily, and he would make something similar to these every once in a while. It was usually unplanned and somewhat spontaneous, meaning they were made from leftovers. I think he called them Arancini, but I am not sure. 

My version has elements of both Arancini and Supplì. I would say that I've never made two the same. I've used a variety of meats and cheeses. Heck, sometimes I use peas too. It all depends on what I have on hand or if the dish was preplanned. I've made this dish with jasmine and California rice with good results too. Note- These kinds of rice were chosen because they were leftovers. If I am preplanning, I always use Arborio. 

My Rissotto changes from time to time also. Sometimes I add shallots, and some times I add mushrooms or peas. It depends on my mood. There are no limits. Please refrain from telling me these are not authentic- My Aphoristic Lamentation on Authentic Food!

Note: This recipe is always made in stages (Days sometimes) depending on what is going on with our schedules. Step 1- Rice Step 2- Ragu Step 3- Ragu and Rice Combined Step 4- Make the Stuffed Balls. Step 5- Fry and Serve.


Who doesn't love a good Risotto? I kept this one pretty simple—nothing special about it at all except I used great ingredients. 

Step 1- The Risotto is made with 2-Cups of Arborio Rice and about 5-6 cups of Homemade Chicken-Stock. If you don't know how to make Risotto, there are many great vids online. I finished with Butter and Parmigiano Reggiano Cheese. Make sure to taste and adjust seasoning. I cooled it on a tray lined with parchment paper.


Step 2- This is Ragu doesn't change much for my scrumptious balls of joy. I always use Veal and Lamb because of fat, taste, and texture. What I do- Start sauteing the meat with a little olive oil. When it's three-quarters of the way cooked through add chopped onions. When the onions start to soften and take on some color, season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add chopped garlic. I love garlic, so I add quite a bit. Add some chopped up sundried tomatoes too. Sundried Tomatoes add a depth of flavor, unlike other ingredients, and they are always a must. Sundried Tomatoes can burn quickly, so keep an eye on them. Deglaze with a cabernet or port. Add the crushed tomatoes and adjust from there. The Ragu will be added to the rice, so it's vital that it's not to thick. Add your seasoning and adjust. I love basil and oregano, green onion to start with... Fresh parsley, of course. Whatever you want!! If I am going to add mushrooms, I add porcini. 
Step 3- The Ragu almost reached room temp before combining with Rice. Rice was made the day before. Much easier combining these two ingredients and judging cohesiveness when they are chilled a bit. I sometimes add toasted pine nuts at this stage, but I didn't have any on hand. At this point, I adjusted seasoning by adding just a little salt, pepper, and cheese. I added 2-eggs and some bread crumbs to help bind. I fried off a chunk and to test how it held together and tasted. I refrigerated the mixture for a few hours (overnight is fine) before proceeding. 
Step 4- Choose a soft Mozerella Cheese; otherwise, it will not melt when deep-fried. I used a substantial Ice-Cream scoop to scale the rice balls. Make a ball, make a divot, and place cheese inside and shape into a sphere. If you're not fast and the balls are getting warm, place in the refrigerator for an hour or two. I love doing all of this in stages. Anyhow, set up your breading station. I love panko for these balls. You know what to do now. Flour, Egg, and Panko.... shape into balls. You can season your panko too. I added just a wee bit of cheese and pepper. After they are all breaded place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. This will dry the outside and ensure the breading will stay on while you fry. 
Step 5- Heat oil to 325-335℉ degrees. Why so low? You want the inside to get hot and melt the cheese. Frying at a low temp ensures outside does not get overly brown before the inside gets hot. Make sure oil is back up to temp before adding more balls. 
I always serve these with a Ragu. In my opinion, more sauce and more meat is heaven. You will undoubtedly have leftover Ragu from the stuffing like I did, which is a plus. Add the Ragu to a marina or make more. This will be an excellent addition to the Rice balls. 










Top of the Page......






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math