Pasta c'Anciuova e Muddica Atturrata



Pasta c'Anciuova e Muddica Atturrata (Sicilian Pasta With Anchovies and Toasted Breadcrumbs)

Over the many years of making this recipe, there have been many adaptations. The modifications were based on my mood and what was available at the store. Just a few weeks ago, I decided to write it all down for a friend, "Spaghetti Alla Broccolini & Calabrian Peppers." 

It's a relatively easy dish to make, and prep work is not too bad if you have fast knife skills and have sourced all the ingredients. But what do you do when you're craving Pasta but have no time and don't want to go to the store? I reflected on what I've done in the past to facilitate recipes and make them streamlined and efficient, and then it occurred to me what to do. I can create an Italian Fast-Food-Recipe that can be used at a moment's notice. The time it takes to boil Pasta plus 5-Minutes you can have an upscale Pasta Dish. 



When I make this Pasta-Dish, sourcing the ingredients, if not already on hand, and the dish's execution can take a while. So I found a solution. 


Ordinarily, I make everything in a huge saute pan and finish with the Startchy-Pasta-Water, Pasta, and Anchovy Bread Crumbs. 


While sleeping, I often focus on food, my go-to for new creations, and ways to work through a method or recipe. Dreaming about food is my "ZEN," where I can relax and be guided by intuition rather than my conscious brain. You'd be amazed at what you can do and create while visualizing a specific topic. It's a feeling of enlightenment while in that relaxed state that you have those eureka moments. 


Anyhow, I came up with the following. What if I combined everything in one pan and suspended all the ingredients in the Breadcrumbs? Will it work? Oh, yes, it did!!! The work put in initially may be a lot first, but it pays off in the end. After making the crumble, I store it in one-gallon bags and place them in the freezer. 


Note 1: The amount of Calabrian Chili Pepper is up to you. I eat very spicy and hot food, so I am used to the heat. At 80 g, you are at a 7 out of 10 in heat. My wife and kids ate it all and only commented that it was hot but devoured it all.

Note 2: I love Anchovies, and if you want, use 4 oz. But first, try 2 oz to see how much you like them.....LOL



Mise-en-Place: As an option, I like adding Lemon Zest at the end. I also serve a lemon wedge to my guests. The acid in the lemon cuts through the fat. Also, as noted, add or subtract the Calabrian Chili Peppers, and if you like,  add 4-oz's 
Anchovies.

This is so easy. I am not even sure why I am explaining, but here it goes. 

Saute the shallots in olive for a few minutes on a low flame. I also added some ground black pepper to the shallots. Did you notice I did not add any salt? Anchovies are very salty, and you may not need any. You don't want any color on the shallots at this stage.

Once the shallots become translucent, add the garlic. Once you start to smell the garlic without browning, begin adding the rest of the ingredients. On a low flame, add the Peppers, Sundried Tomatoes, and Anchovies. The anchovies will literally melt into the sauce. Add the port!!!!

During the final stages of cooking, you will add the Pinenuts, Green onion, and Seasoning. Once this is all incorporated, toss in Panko. You may or may need more olive oil. I did not need any extra. Start tasting and adjust to suit your palate. Brown the Panko a little and keep tasting. When you are happy, remove from stove and keep tossing until cool. 


If not using right away, I freeze it on a large cookie sheet and toss it in a bag. 


How to use it? Prepare your pasta according to directions and maybe take out a minute before it reaches al-dente. Add just a little olive oil to a  heated saute pan and toss in the pasta. Start adding the starchy pasta water as well as the crumble. Finish with some parmesan cheese, and you are done. 

This is the simplest, quickest version!!! Add a lemon wedge and top with some more crumble, and you are done. The best thing to prepare at 2 Am.


This one is a kicked-up version: Sweet petite peas and cherry tomatoes halved and sauteed in olive oil. Some fresh parsley, and you're done. 

Lamb, Asparagus, and Rigitonni! I also used extra toasted pinenuts and fresh Italian Parsley. 

The only limitation to this dish is your imagination. 

I've used SV-Chicken thighs and breasts. Last week I used leftover chuck and shredded it into the pasta water to heat through.



 














 


 













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math