Spaghetti alla Broccolini & Calabrian Peppers

I've made this dish maybe 50x times over the years but never the same way twice. I've had a few requests to give out the recipe, but I've never taken pen to paper because it is so easy and can be prepared in the time required to cook the pasta. 

I would, on occasion, summarily describe the ingredients and execution for those who asked, but most listened would a polite smile and said thank you. In reality, and in most cases, they were Pseudo listening. I can't find much fault with them because most people don't share my same passion. Truth be told, we all do it, and I am no different. I could give you several examples, but some of my friends and family members could be reading this post.  

Anyhow, as most of you know, I am more than happy to share everything I do, but I rarely write anything down. As with most culinarians, we just toss around this & that, which concludes with some exceptional dishes. Although I am a prolific writer of blogs and recipes, I only record a smidgen of what I do in the kitchen. If I gave any more time documenting what occurs in my kitchen, I would never be able to do what I love the most. 

Note: In the picture above, and only after the fact, I noticed the eyesore. I wish I had cut the Broccolini just a wee bit smaller. 

These are all the ingredients I used to make this fabulous dish. The amount of Calabrian Peppers is the perfect quantity for those that might be sensitive to heat. This dish is really about this Chili, so I say the more, the better. 

Now let's talk about some additions and substitutions. You can use Broccoli Rabe instead of Broccolini. A different type of long pasta, as noted. Maybe add some chicken or other protein. I, on occasion, will use diced-up Italian Sous-Vide Processed Chicken, and I would add just at the end just to warm through. If you do this, I will avoid a long-shaped pasta. 

You could also add a small number of capers and kalamata olives to amp up the flavor, but I think it would take away from the Calabrian Chilis and create a different dish. I am not opposed to this in the least because I've done it with spectacular results. 



You will need to blanch the Broccoloni first. I used the pasta water to do accomplish this. Blanch for 90 Secs and place in Ice-Bath to stop cooking.

The Panko addition I learned from Bobby Flay. It really amps the Umami Flavor and gives it that wow boost. The texture is certainly a plus too.

To make the Panko Anchovy topping, place some olive oil in a pan, toss in Anchovies, and stir until broken down. Toss in the Panko, add some black pepper, and stir until the desired color is achieved. 

Mis en Place- I measured everything out and got everything ready for the Saute pan. I did not have a pic of the Broccolini cut into small pieces. The dish happens fast, so have everything ready to go. The Sundried Tomatoes come in strips which were then minced up. 






This happens in about 12 minutes, and you need starchy pasta water to finish, so make sure to have everything ready. 

Place some olive oil in a saute pan and heat to medium. Toss in shallots with a little salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes. Start tossing in everything else. Garlic will need about 60 secs before you start adding anything else. Now toss in tomatoes, peppers, and sundried tomatoes. You may need to add some extra olive oil to the pan. Olive oil adds its own flavors too. Using tongs add your al-dente (about 30secs shy of al-dente) pasta to the pan, taking some pasta water with it. Stir very well, trying to incorporate everything. Add parsley and cheese. Keep stirring..... and keep tasting. Add some pasta water to make a sauce. Toss in a handful of the panko topping. Keep tasting and adjusting until you have the right flavors and sauce viscosity you desire. 

To serve- Dish some up in a bowl, add panko topping, parsley, and cheese. As you are serving, you may notice the pasta will have absorbed some of the sauce. Add some more pasta water to the saute pan if you want to. 















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math