Potato & Cheese Frittata


Breakfast is everything to me. It's how we start our days.  It's the mouthful that speaks to me, "How you doin." Sufficed it to say Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. 

I am not sure you will find anything like this recipe in books or even on the web. Like you, I have watched many cooking shows and have read up on breakfast Potato dishes for years, and I at least for me I've never had that ahhh moment where I say this is the one. (Mini-One-HERE)

I was watching Netflix a few weeks ago, and they were showcasing some Latin Dishes in Argentina, and one happened to be on the Spanish Tortilla. While there are many versions of the Tortilla, one thing is always a constant: the precooking of the potatoes. The vast majority of the recipes slice the potatoes thin and fry in lots of oil before finishing, which inspired me to make my Lauded Potato Dish.
Without the Serious Eats Crispy Roasted Potatoes recipe, this recipe would not deserve the name Laudable. These potatoes are beyond tasty and crispy. I used Russet Pots that are scrubbed clean and cut into chunks. Yes, I love the skins for taste and texture. Note: I have tried them with Yukon Golds and Reds, and they, too, are excellent. Bring 5 quarts of water to a boil and add in about a tablespoon of salt and 1/2 tsp of Baking Soda. Adding baking soda to the water changes the PH (makes it higher) and creates an alkaline environment that breaks down the pectin faster and creates a better surface to get ultra-crispy tots. I suggest you read the link above and all of his notes. It's a great read. 


Note: This method, in my opinion, works great for the best oven fried potatoes you will ever eat, but there's a caveat. You cannot use this method IMO for pan-fried Potatoes. The best process of pan-fried Potatoes is the addition of Vinegar, which lowers PH and helps Potato keep its shape. Serious-Eats talks about both methods.


After the water comes to a boil, add the potatoes and bring back to a boil again. Cook until a fork pierces the potatoes easily. Strain the potatoes very well and place in a large enough bowl that allows you toss. To this bowl, add your favorite fat to coat. I love Schmaltz, which is rendered chicken fat. Add some salt, pepper, and some additional spices and herbs. Whatever you want, just use your imagination. Make sure to rough up the potatoes by tossing them, which creates better surfaces to brown. Place potatoes on a pan and brown in the oven. I used my Breville Oven (BSOA) using the Convection setting set at 415℉ and tossed them once during the cooking process. In a standard oven, use 450 Remove the potatoes after sufficiently brown. The whole process took about 30-40 minutes. 



This is the basic recipe. You can change up anything you want.

I will sometimes add Kale, Spinach, or Broccoli. Sometimes a combo of all three. 

 Different colored peppers are great too. Maybe some roasted poblanos? 

How about choosing different meat? Note: I added Gribenes. 

Maybe some mushrooms. 

You don't have to use sausage. If you want to change the texture, remove the casings. I use many different types of cheese. I love Pecorino Romano for the UMAMI, and cheese blends. Again you can use different kinds of potatoes too. Go crazy!!! 

Mis En Place- Chop everything up. Everything will eventually end up in the Saute pan. 
Again choose the fat you want and coat the pan. Start Sauteeing Onions and Peppers because they will take the longest. Add some salt and pepper. When they start to caramelize toss in sausage. After a few minutes toss in the garlic. Finish with garlic. When you think everything is browned adequately, stir in green onions.

This is what it should look like when it's just about done. 



If you are like me, you will use frozen microwaveable spinach. After it's cooked through toss in a non-stick pan and saute a bit to evaporate the excess water. I use the pan I used earlier.




Pic 1- Everything in the bowl.

Pic 2- Mix it up.

Pic 3- Toss in Cheeses.

Pic 4- Taste and adjust for seasoning.

Pic 5- Toss in eggs and mix well.
NOTE: If you find after adding the eggs, it appears to wet you can fix this easily by adding some panko breadcrumbs. This will add to the flavor and texture, too—a win-win in my book. 

Pic 1 - 9- inch springform pan.
Pic 2 - Place heavy-duty foil on round disk. Used to prevent possible leaking at the bottom.
Pic 3-  Place Parchment paper on top of the foil. Used to prevent sticking.
Pic 4 - Springform pan all done.
Pic 5- Fold up foil around the sides. 
Pic 6 - Line interior with more parchment paper. I use cooking spray, which acts as the glue and helps parchment adhere to the sides. 



Spray your springform pan with cooking spray. Place everything in the springform pan. If using your Breville or something similar, Bake using Convection at 325 for 25-30 minutes until an internal temperature of 145 reached. Regular oven at 350. 




Fully cooked!! Set on Trivet and let rest 5-7 minutes. Not resting will result in runny cheese.





Carefully unlock springform pan and remove parchment paper from the sides. 



Using the edges of the parchment paper transfer Potato dish to the  
 Pizza pan that came with your Breville or similar pan. I used extra parchment paper on the pan to strengthen for the transfer. Again using your Breville using Super-Convection bake at 440 for 2-5 minutes (side crust forms).  In a regular oven at 475





















    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

    Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

    Curing Notes and some Math