Schmaltz & Gribenes



Liquid Schmaltz


What is Schmaltz you ask? It's our secret weapon for making things taste great. Yes, that's right; it's our liquid gold that we add to just about anything; well, I do if I want to make the stereotypical Jewish food taste good. Healthy, probably not, but anything used in moderation is okay for you. 

Solidified Schmaltz 


Non-Jewish people may not be familiar with Schmaltz, so allow me to give you an analogy. Schmaltz is to the Jew as Lard is to the Gentile. 






Gribenes are the by-product of the culinary masterpiece we call Schmaltz. 






HOW TO MAKE SCHMALTZ & GRIBENES      



Collect skin and fat from chickens. I usually de-bone chicken thighs, use the meat in another dish, and save all the skin and fat.

Note: I make this stuff at least 1-2 x a month. When I buy chicken, I always cut off excess fat or skin.


As the above picture shows, I placed the chicken on a sheet pan and froze it slightly so I could cut it into one-inch pieces.

















Toss everything in a large non-stick frying pan with a touch of water and begin a gentle simmer. The water is necessary to melt the fat in the beginning stages. If you skip this part, the fat will most likely burn. The water will eventually evaporate, and you will be left with liquid gold. Adjust temp according to good judgment. 



These are the different stages the Schmaltz and Gribeses go through. It takes very low heat and patience to make the best product.




Strain through a sieve; if you want pure schmaltz, use cheesecloth. Ah.....all golden brown. What we have here is Gribenes which is the byproduct of making Schmaltz.
The Schmaltz is ready to use. Refrigerate/freeze until you want to use it. Another technique that's worth mentioning. I will sometimes freeze the gribenes and process them to a powder and use them in dishes. 


Liquid Gold can be used just like butter. You can add it to any recipe that calls for fat. I.e., Knish, Latkes, Matzo balls, Potato Kugel, Quiche, etc. etc...I store my stuff in the freezer and keep adding to the supply. 



The Gribenes can be used in all the above dishes. I like to freeze them and use a food processor to chop them up like bacon bits. 

OPTIONAL 


When the skin is lightly brown and plenty of fat has rendered, toss in lots of onions. Onions are optional, and I only add them for special dishes.




Fry it all up and stir every once and a while, and scrape the bottom of the pan. 






Notice how everything is getting golden.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math