KD’s Meshuga XXX Powder (UMAMI seasoning)

KD’s Meshuga Powder (UMAMI seasoning) was my first attempt at making a flavor enhancer, and it was the bomb. Everyone loved it, and I was pleased with it too, but then something happened. I started diving into science and research. After some experimentation and Holy-Crap Eye-Opening, I came up with this concoction. I'll get to it in a moment, but this explains why chips and nosh are so dang addicting. 

We've all heard of MSG (MonoSodium-Glutamate) but have you heard of Disodium Guanylate (GMP) or Disodium-Inosinate (IMP)? All three are used together as flavor enhancers in many foods. You won't see the GMP or IMP without MSG because these three ingredients have a synergistic effect to enhance the flavor of food. MSG will work fine by its self, but the other two need MSG to work synergistically. This explains why nosh and chips are so damn good and addictive. It's not just nosh, chips mind you but fast-food and a multitude of products. 




This is just a small sample of the products that have these ingredients. Blow it up and read the ingredients. MSG, GMP, and IMP are also in bouillion cubes, powdered soup mixes, sauces, spreads, dressings, and soups.


At the end of the day, it's about improving flavor and increasing our 5th taste known as Umami. MSG, GMP, and IMP can be manufactured in labs as an odorless powder and can be purchased in large quantities. Buying the chemical version is what large manufacturers do, but that's not how I roll. Many many foods contain the above ingredients, and with proper integration, we can achieve our own Umami flavor enhancer. 




Glutamic Acid (MSG man-made version), Disodium Inosinate (IMP), and Disodium Guanylate (GMP) naturally occur in many foods such as meats, fishes, and veggies.I'll just highlight a few and the ones I chose which contain very high levels. 

UMAMI Scores (Mg/100g)

Glutamic Acid- Just about all veggies have Glutamatates. Which ones have the highest? Celery 20-30, Tomatoes 150-250, Garlic 100, Rishiri Kombu 1985 (which I used), and Shitake Mushrooms 1060 (which I also used). All mushrooms have Glutamate and GSM. Shitake has the highest. 

Disodium Inosinate- It's in a lot of seafood. Cod, for example, has about 180, which is high on the spectrum. Now let's talk about one of the kings of IMP. Katsuobushi aka Dried Bonito Flakes have about 700. Yes, they have some Glutamates too. 

Disodium Guanylate- In common mushrooms, they range from 40-110, but Shitake Mushrooms have the highest, which is 150. It's also in several types of meats but at low levels. Yes, they have some Glutamates too. 

The above lists are not all-inclusive, but you can see where I am going with these new additions to my powder.  


Here's the recipe.  



How to use the recipe? If you have 200-grams of salt, you will use that number to compute the other numbers.  I.E. 200 grams of Salt X Black Garlic 21% (.21) = 42 grams. 

Silicon Dioxide is optional but helps prevent caking of the powder. 








How to make Black Garlic? Here's a link.....BLACK GARLIC. Or you can purchase some online. The picture on the far right is powdered form. I used the Vitamix to process into a fine powder. 

These Castelvetrano Olives are just amazing. Hands down the best olives you will ever have. From what I have read, it is suggested to purchase the ones with the Pitts for the flavor, and that is what I did. Believe me when I say I love Olives and these top the list!! From the texture to taste, these babies are fantastic!




Give the olives a light smash and remove the Pit. Yes, it is that simple.








Dehydrate the Olives until they feel dehydrated or to the touch hard. If you have to be able to grind them up.




Rishiri Kombu- Although these appear dry when they come out of the package they contain lots of moisture. If you were to grind them up, you would end up with a paste. They must be dehydrated until they are brittle. 

Dried Shitake mushrooms have a meaty flavor and are so very unique to other fungi. They are often used in dried form to enhance meat dishes. They tend to have a buttery and smokiness to them, which make them really awesome!!!

Same thing with the Shitake mushrooms. Again these appear dry when they come out of the package they contain some moisture. If you were to grind them up you would end up with a pasty. They must be dehydrated until they are brittle. Note: these dried Items will have roughly the same weight after dehydration. 


I love capers. Drain them off and dehydrate them. Do not rinse.









Porcini need to be dehydrated for a bit too. They have a great woodsy flavor and is another great flavor enhancer. According to Cooks Illustrated, Shitake Mushrooms have 15 times more "flavor-building nucleotides" than dried Porcini Mushrooms.




Katsuobushi aka Dried Bonito Flakes..... dry them too. I used an additional mesh on top to prevent them from flying away. 



I process everything separately using my Vitamix and a food processor. 












I outdid myself this time!!! This stuff is amazing. I put some on my eggs earlier, and it was the bomb. Anyhow make your own powder and experiment with percentage or quantities. 
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math