Black Garlic


I've wanted to do this for a while and read up on many ways to make it, but I found that a dedicated machine was the easiest. The NEX Machine was inexpensive and easy to use.

I use Black Garlic in many recipes and in one of my UMAMI-Powders and HERE TOO.

Black Garlic = Mellowness, Sweet compared to raw garlic. Sweet and syrupy with hints of balsamic vinegar that sets them apart from fresh garlic. 

  

I followed instructions that were simple. Place garlic on trays and wait 12 days. Done. If you do it inside your home it will stink of garlic, but I loved it......family no so much.








Choose the most prominent aka Big-Heads you can find...









12-Days Later...




Peeling was super easy too. Refrigerate overnight and let it spend about 20 minutes in the freezer before peeling. 12 heads took me about 20-30 minutes. 




Just an edited fancy photo.......
Going into the dehydrator to grind into a powder. 

Dehydrated! I've done this twice now. Great success using 150f for about 36 hours. Between 24-36 hours you need to cut them in half and created more surface area for them to dry more evenly. At the 2 days or so I reduced tempt to 140f. The entire drying process took about 5 days. Some are slightly spongy. One might ask why not cut them in half at first? They are very soft when they first come out of the garlic fermenter and cannot be cut in half without smearing them. 






Ground-up using a Vitamix. I also used Silicon Dioxide at 2%, which is an Anti-Caking Agent. 


And I used it also in a "Black Garlic Ice-Cream recipe that I came up with too

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math