"The Introspective Meatball"

Who doesn't like Meatballs?  They even made a movie about them!!  Meatballs are fashionable, accessible and just plain beautiful. They are crowd-pleasing!!
I am sure everyone has eaten meatballs before, but not everyone is able to make them well, so this post is dedicated to the perfect meatball. From Swedish to Italian meatballs they're all excellent. I know people are always trying to replicate recipes, but they fail none-the-less. But are why do they fail? With meticulous studious attention to detail they follow the recipe to the tee, but somehow the meatballs still come out dense or dry. A meatball is not some serendipitous ornament that can be thrown together without thought and hung on some tree. A meatball is something special or as the French would say Je ne Sais Quoi. What's missing from many great meatball recipes is techniques that transform simple ingredients into something delectable. What is a perfect meatball? It could be your grandmother's recipe passed down from generation to generation or just one you threw together with some common ingredients. 


Maybe your special meatball is a blending of herbs and seasonings that puts it over the top. Hmmm...nope!!  There's an old Italian proverb "A ciascuno il suo" which means "To Each His Own." What makes a meatball extraordinary & unique is that you made it yourself and it came from your kitchen. Once you master some basic cooking techniques, your meatball will become something special.

Why did I call this the Introspective Meatball? Because I think meatballs are personal.  The Meatball you create must come from within. Meatballs have existed in every period and every culture.  If you think about it for a moment, a Meatball is mainly meat, spices, and herbs mixed together and then cooked. Sounds boring if you ask me.  But when you make a Meatball from a cultural, personal historical perspective, it gets transformed into exceptional.  



For me, my meatballs are influenced by my Italian side and the cultural melting pot I grew up in; none other than Brooklyn New York. My grandfather was Sicilian, and his family came from Palermo; thus I traditionally make an Italian version of Meatballs.  My grandfather had all the stereotypes too!!! My grandfather (we called him Poppi) Salvatore Santos owned a Bar in Queens NY and mostly served Italian patrons and served Italian food which included some of the most exceptional food I have ever eaten. My grandfather was the epitome of what was Italian. From his food to the way he talked and dressed. Ok,  enough about my family. Back to the meatball!!!

What are the secrets to making a great meatball? We want a meatball with the right texture, the right seasoning, and one that tastes amazing. Of course, we want to avoid making a dry, spongy dense meatball that bounces around when it hits the plate.  



Let's talk about some Meat-Ball  101 
  • Season your meat mixture. Salt and pepper etc. If you add cheese that is salty like Parmesan you might want to take that into consideration and cut back on the salt. 
  • Herbs and spices are absolute. Otherwise, your meatball becomes boring. No flavor no color makes a meatball drab. If you are making Italian meatballs then the standard Italian parsley, Basil, and Oregano will work.  But if you decide to make Greek versions then you might consider Mint, Greek Oregano, Allspice, Cardamom, Anise, Cinnamon, olives, and maybe some feta cheese too. Etc. My point here is to kick it up a notch and be creative.  
  • Eggs are a necessity. They are the binder or in laymen's terms the glue that holds everything together. Without it, you will end up with crumbled meat. I like about 2 eggs per pound of meat. Sometimes more sometimes less. It depends on how it feels in my hands. 
  • Mixing it all together. Use your hands and don't overdo it. You want to combine until everything is incorporated and not a paste. 
  • The meatballs need to be the same size.  Whether you use an ice-cream scooper (I do) or your hands make sure they are the same size. 
  • Roll your balls with your hands. Make sure your hands have a little oil or water on them. If your hands are dry, the meat will stick.
  • Sear the hell out of them. I like cooking my meatballs in a hot skillet with olive oil. I love a nice caramelized outside and I braise them in my sauce. You can also do them in a very hot oven.  If you prefer no crust then do not fry them.
  • I make a Panade to avoid dense, heavy, and hard meatballs. What is a Panade? A panade is a mixture of bread and milk or other liquids, combined to form a paste, that is incorporated into ground meats so that they don't get too hard or dry when you cook them. I think Cream is the king, and extra fat in meatballs or Meatloaf adds additional richness. 


    Starches absorb liquid when cooked, so they expand and undergo a gelatinization transformation. The gelatinization caused by the starches absorbing moisture helps ensure that the final product isn't too dry.  American Test kitchen says "A Panade works in two ways: its liquid adds moisture and the bread starch gets in the way of the meat's proteins, preventing them from interconnecting and becoming tough." 
  • Meat: use whatever you want. Just make sure it has lots of fat, and it is of quality cuts. I like using beef, lamb, and Veal for my Italian meatballs. If I am going for Greek or middle eastern versions, I use 75% Lamb and 25% Veal or Beef.  Turkey and Chicken are great too. 
  • My personal preference when I make Italian meatballs is the addition of wine. Whatever wine I use for my sauce that same wine goes in my meatball.  "I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food." -W.C Fields. 
  • One last thing about the infamous meatball and this is one of the most important rules. After you get done combining all your ingredients pinch off some of the meat and fry it up and sample it. Adjust the seasonings if you need to then start rolling them out. 

The Inspirational Meat-Ball 

What does an inspirational meatball look like? "You Need To Look within to make your meatball."  Yes, it sounds crazy, but if you want to make a "one of a kind" meatball, you must get inspired first. What foods do you like? As I write this post, I just got the idea to make an Asian Meatball using my special Asian Coconut Curry Sauce.  How hard can it be? Using some of the ingredients, I suggested in the above recipe you can create a fantastic meatball. I could then braise the meatballs in the above sauce with some minor modifications

Below you will find a list of my inspired meatballs.  The menu will grow as I become so inclined to create something original so check back occasionally. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math