Tomahawk Steaks Faux Aged W/KHO Sauce (Sous-Vide)

I've written a lot about Faux Aging Steaks with Fish Products and specifically using Red-Boats products. 



REDBOAT has a new product, and I wanted to try it on a couple of Steaks. The Steaks were Choice quality which is the perfect muse for my purposes. 

What makes this Sauce different is the ingredients: Water, Fish Sauce (Anchovy, Sea Salt), Organic Coconut Sugar, Canola Oil, Ginger, Shallot, Corn Starch, Green Onions, Citric Acid, Black Pepper, Sunflower Lecithin, Crushed Red Pepper, Yeast Extract.




My favorite Red-Boat Sauce is their Red Boat 50°N
Maple Bourbon, 200ml
.






Inexpensive Fredmeyer steaks

Tied to keep the shape


Bones wrapped to prevent tearing through Vac-Bag.

KHO sauce applied at 3% of the weight of Steaks: i.e., 1000 gram steak would need 30 grams Sauce. 1000 X 3% (or .03) = 30 grams


The Steaks were 2.5 inches thick, so I let them sit 5-Days in the refrigerator. Using fish products, you need a minimum of 3-Days. Video 

The steaks were processed using a two-stage process. Processed at 113f fr 4-Hrs then finished at 133f for 6-Hours. Although they came out fantastic based on the quality, I should have chosen 134-135f. They were shocked and refrigerated for 10-days. Before you ask, this was done for convenience, and I always have about 20 lbs of proteins ready to go. Anyhow they were rethermed at 128f for a few hours. If you were to go from the bath to the grill, just make sure to dry very well and sit on the counter for about 15-Minutes before grilling to mitigate exceeding SV temp. 




A schmear of Mayo, BBQ sauce, and black pepper was added. This aids in Heat-Transfer, Maillard, and flavor. A Schmear is a 1/2 tsp. 






Overall they were excellent. I would like to do a side-by-side test using the other Sauce, and I should've processed at 134-135f. 




Update-3/6/2022: I still prefer Fish salt and my fav is 

Red Boat 50°N Maple Bourbon, 200ml







 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math