Baby-Bok-Choy Kimchi

 

(OP-8/2018)- When you think of Kimchi (my Kimchi), I am sure you never thought about using Bok-Choy. I've always enjoyed eating Baby-Bok-Choy, and Kimchifying this veggie just made sense to me. And of course, it helps that I have a couple of friends who mentioned it to me. This is extremely similar to the one I made about two weeks ago (see link above). I made some minor changes, but it's essentially the same.


These precise measurements are not necessary, but since I was going to write them down anyway, I might as well be meticulous. If this recipe comes out great or meets my expectations, I can look back replicate it. And if I am not exactly happy or want to modify, I have a good starting point. And if you, the reader, want to duplicate what I did or somehow get inspired to make their own, this would be a good starting point. 


Here you go... Using a knife, split them open from the back and use your hands to do the rest of the splitting. If they're on the larger size, split into quarters.







See, this is what it looks like... Rinse them very well to remove sand and grit. This is the first of three rinses.






This colander is huge. I think it's 24 inches across. Anyhow rinse again.



Place them all in a container that is large enough to cover and create a brine. I went with a 7% brine. My last batch was a 5% brine that was brined for 9 hours. This one will go for 12 hours. Read about brines in the link above on my Kimchi. 

After 12 hours, drain brine. Remember to set aside 2 cups of brine water.

CUT INTO BITE-SIZE PIECES AND RINSE AGAIN.









Using a very sharp knife, slice the daikon very thin or use a mandolin. Slice the daikon into matchsticks or whatever shape happens to suit your needs.




I used organic Carrots, which are the best for ferments. Of course, I did not peel them either. If you peel them, all that natural flora on the surface will be cut away, which is not optimum for fermentation. All I did was clean them with a brush. I also used the mandolin to slice them very thin. I've been slicing my veggies in different shapes and sizes to figure out what's best for my Kimchi's. So far, I really like this shape. 


Slice up your green onions any way you want.







I forgot the name of these pears, but I used a lot of them. I think they were Red Anjou. 



Place the Bok Choy in a large bowl and sprinkle on about half of the Korean Red Pepper on them. Note: I am using Flakes and not powder!!!



Mix and start adding your veggies...





................... Let's make the Slurry ................... 

Using Sweet Rice Flour as a slurry base is pretty common in Kimchi, although certainly not needed. Take one cup of water and heat up just a bit. Take 1/4 of Sweet Rice Flour, one cup of water and add to a one-pint jar, cover and shake. Add this to the other cup of water simmering on the stove. Make a slurry. And as an optional ingredient which I just love, is Brown Sugar. I learned about his addition watching a few Korean Women making their own versions of Kimchi. 





This is the brand I used but there are many out there to choose from. Why use/make a sweet rice slurry? The rice and its starchy goodness aid in the fermentation process and it helps to make a great paste to add to the cabbage. 




You cannot make Kimchi without garlic and I love garlic. Loving the ginger and onions too.





Everything into the food processor to form a paste. Add the now cooled slurry mixture too. I forgot to take the picture but add the Korean Chili to this mixture too. Note: I am using the powdered form of the Korean Red Pepper



As an optional ingredient to give it that funk taste we all love and know (Red-Boat). This is particular fish sauce is on the spendy side compared to others but it's worth every penny. But of course, you can use whatever you want and don’t forget it’s optional. Add this to the food processor too.

This is a must for spicy kimchi!!! I have both the powdered and the flake version. Damn so good!!! Some people also use hot pepper flakes in addition to the Korean stuff but it’s not necessary IMO. Don’t forget I split the pepper up. I used 65 grams of the pepper flakes and tossed them with the Bok Choy and used the other 65 grams in the Food processor with the slurry.

Make sure all the veggies are mixed well. 
So let's recap a bit. To the food processor, we added the garlic, onion, ginger, slurry mixture, pepper, and fish sauce. 
Add all of this to the big bowl containing the veggies and mix thoroughly. Remember the two cup of reserved brine water? This part is an important part. My last batch of Kimchi did not have enough liquid if you ask me. However, there was an adequate amount for the crock! So in this batch, I kind of eyeballed the liquid level and added about a cup of the brine. I wanted to make sure when I filled the crocks I had enough liquid to cover the veggies and provide me the extra liquid and sauce I love.


I used lettuce leaves as the first follower to submerge the kimchi and glass ones like the second follower. In the end, you have to keep everything below the brine.  My crocks are glass and have airlocks which are great. They let the excess carbon dioxide escape but keep oxygen out and all the nasties aka bad bacteria. 



I rotated them several times in and out of the house for the first few days. My A/C is on and it was a little too cold for the kimchi to ferment. And the garage was too hot in the day too. So in and out we went over a few days. 








At about 5 days in I checked the Ph. and it was not low enough based on what I like. Some people only ferment for about 3 days and refrigerate but IMO the PH is too high. It's kind of subjective and about what you want. My last batch I fermented until a Ph. of 4.12. This time I wanted to go a little lower. 



A few more days in and we are headed in the right rection.....Maybe one more day!!! Great taste so far.








DONE!!!!!!



Do you notice the active little bubbles on the right side of the picture? This baby was active and bubbling away. 










Note: Once your fermentation has hit its sweet spot and you are satisfied you must refrigerate to stop the fermentation process.  

Review-Damn is it good!!!!!! I might play around with a touch more garlic but other than that it's about perfect. Note: The 7% brine at 12 hours was perfect. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math