Eggplant Puttanesca (Optional Sous-Vide)

This sauce is the bomb!! I've been making variants of Puttnescae Sauces for years (Link 1, 2), and this one is unique because I think it makes an excellent base for several other dishes. My other recipes were very distinct and encapsulated a specific set of ingredients. 

The use of Eggplant enables you could use this as a standalone dish with Pasta, Polenta, Polenta Waffle, Potatoes, or another starch. I tried rice but was not satisfied with the texture. I've also used delicata squash as the starch, and it was superb. The Eggplant, if prepared with the correct technique, will simulate the composition of meat.


This is my base recipe, but I rarely ever stick to it 100%. I might a little bit of this or that depending on what I want that day.

Note: This recipe might appear daunting to make, but once you Mis En place (get everything in place), it comes together very fast. 



How to choose an eggplant? First, make sure the skin is smooth and tight. 
And yes, Virginia, there are male & female Eggplants. Yes, my preference is the male Eggplant because I am a sexist. I am just kidding!!! I am a chauvinist!! That, too, is a joke. The male Eggplant has fewer seeds and can be bitter. In the end, I think mother nature is suggesting that females are more bitter than males. 😳 Wait, did I just say that out loud? 

We all know I am joking.... but was I 😂? 


Slice the Eggplant into 1/2 inch medallions and salt liberally on both sides. Place slices into a colander with a bowl underneath or place into the sink to collect the water. Let the Eggplant sit for 2-Hours. To remove excess water and bitterness, this is a necessary step. The Eggplant will firm up and become compact, which creates a meaty texture. After the 2-Hours rinse the Eggplant and dry with paper towels.  



While the Eggplant sits in its Salt coating, measure out the other ingredients. Use a food processor, or if you are inclined, use a knife to chop up. 



Heat some olive oil in a large saute pan (this one is 5 quarts) and after the onions become translucent and soft, add the crushed red pepper and black pepper. Cook just for a few minutes. You must be curious why we've not added salt? The Olives and Anchovies have a lot of salt, and we will adjust seasoning later on. 

Cut Eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes and saute. You will need to add some butter or olive oil because the Eggplant will absorb excess fat in the pan. The Eggplant will reduce in size and will become firm due to water evaporation. It will take on a great color too. Next, toss in carrots and green onions and cook for a few minutes too. 

Toss the ingredients into the saute pan that was prepared in the food processor. Saute for a few minutes. The kitchen will become overjoyed with the smells of Italy or maybe a brothel (Puttanesca). Saute for a few minutes, then deglaze with the port. If you don't have any port, choose your favorite red wine. 

Toss in the Italian Seasoning, Tomato products, Parsley, Cheese, and Toasted Pine-Nuts. Stir and keep tasting. Adjust to suit your palate. 
I've cooked this sauce using the stovetop and also processed it using Sous-Vide and even both. It all depends on what I am doing or what I want. 

Options- Cook on stovetop for about 2-Hours on a very low flame. Remove some or all and process Sous-Vide at 165f for 3-Hours. After processing SV and shock and refrigerate. Use Dr. Baldwin's notes on how long to store in the refrigerator. If processed on the stove, only store leftovers in vac-bags. Make sure to shock well and freeze. If you did not process in the SV, which means it was pasteurized, freezing is really your only option for extended shelf life. 

My lastest dish is below. I used Sous-Vide chicken Thighs (150f at 4-Hours). The thighs were Dry-Brined)(24-Hrs) with the Mediterranean Seasoning shown in the picture below. A quick Sear and submerged into sauce for about 30-Minutes for serving. Placed on a homemade Polenta Waffle. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math