Chicken Cordon Bleu (Sous-Vide)

Chicken Cordon Bleu has an interesting history, but I won't bore you with all the details, but please click the link above for more information. This has to be one of the simplest dishes to make because it's an easy technique to master. 

I've made many versions using different meats, herbs, spices, cheeses, and stuffings. My most recent creation using this method was a Beef-Roulade. Also, you can wrap in Puff Pastry and bake instead of frying!!

Only limited to your imagination. 
Butterfly the breasts with a very sharp knife making sure to keep them intact. Place chicken on a large cutting board between plastic wrap spritzed with a little water. The water will prevent tearing, allowing the chicken to move around while being pounded. 

 As you can see, I chose the Mccormick's Brushetta Blend, which is one of my favorites to use for this application. But feel free to season with whatever you want. Next, grate on your cheese or layer it with maybe gruyere or swiss. If you layer, make sure it sliced thin. Top with some Oilved Packed Sundried tomatoes. Next, choose your protein. I decided to use my homemade Veal-Mortadella. Roll it up!!!
Roll them up nice and tight, tucking in the sides a little. I use commercial plastic (18-Inches) for its strength and size. Place chicken on the plastic wrap and fold the plastic over. Roll it up, all the while pushing on the plastic wrap to stretch a little, giving it a tension to ensure it's tightly wrapped. Twisting the ends in the opposite direction and securing with butchers is twine is the final step. Vacuum Seal and place in refrigerator for 12-24-Hs. The refrigeration step will help with flavor (Dry-Brining) and help with the roulade holding its shape before and after the cook. 
I processed using Delta-T; 152f until an internal temp of 148f was reached, which took 01:50:00. It shaved off about 3-Hours. They were then placed in a container for about 15-Minutes to cool down and for the juices to be reabsorbed. Afterward, they were cooled down with cold tap water and a huge amount of ice. If not using probes, consult Baldwins tables. They were placed in the refrigerator until I was ready for the next step. I own the new Hydropro-Plus which comes with logging software and a probe. Also, I have the Thermoworks SV probes set up. 

For service, the chicken was rethermed at 131f for about 75-Minutes. Remove plastic wrap and dry. I used a standard breading station. Seasoned flour and kicked up Italian bread crumbs with some panko. In case you don't know, this is the procedure—flour, Egg, and breadcrumbs. I did a double-dip.... more egg than more breadcrumbs. 
Deep-fried at 325f. I chose a lower temp to ensure the center would be heated through and to prevent excessive browning. The sauce I made was super easy, too- Butter, shallots, and flour for the roux. Deglaze with white wine and some chicken stock. I added cream, then some Pasrmeaisn cheese, chives, etc. 











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math