Green Chili Mac’n Cheese

There's almost nothing that Says Comfort Food Like Mac n' Cheese, and with dark skies and constant rain, this fills my mind and gut with joy!! Granted, I make a lot of comfort food, and they're all good, but there is something special about cheese and pasta that elevates my soul. Why green chili? I just had Mexican food, and it inspired me to add this to Mac'n cheese.



This is a super simple recipe and is very similar to my other one called Doshers Mac & Cheese with Pimentos.  I love Pimentos for their taste and color. I used them in all my Mac & Cheese Dishes. 

This Mac'n Cheese does not use a Roux but instead uses Sodium Citrate to emulsify the fat and protein. Click on the link above to buy and learn more about it. If you do not want to use SC, go ahead and make a roux. More on this later. 

This recipe is not an end-all but a beginning to something amazing. Go ahead and play around with the ratios and percentages of ingredients. When I made this, I eyeballed everything and adjusted for taste. 

I think the amount of Green Chilis was adequate, but I think I should have used 2 heads of roasted garlic and 2 limes instead of one and maybe more Cilantro too. 

The first thing to do is to grill off your peppers and roast the garlic. When the peppers get charred, place in a plastic glad bag or covered bowl to steam: removed seeds and some charred skin—grill off the green onions, too, as well as the Tomatillos. To roast garlic- cut off the top to expose cloves; add Salt, pepper, and some olive oil. Place in foil and seal, and roast at 350f for one hour.  

Toss the Peppers, Tomatillos, Avacado, Green Onions, Green Onions, Lime Zest & Juice, Cilantro, Roasted Garlic and puree. You may need a little water to get it started. At this point, I would add some desired spices like Cumin, etc... I would not add salt yet. I would wait till you taste the Mac'N Cheese and adjust from there. 



I used one pound of Turkey bacon. I also chopped it up into very tiny pieces, and added this to the Mac 'n Cheese. 





Chop up onions and saute until slightly carmalized. Add some salt, pepper and some spices. I used cumin and some of the spices listed in the ingredients list. 

My all time favorite Pasta!!! 



Boil off the pasta and place in bowl with some butter. The butter will help it from sticking. Start tossing in stuff. This is the pimentos.



In the bowl right now is the pasta, pimentos, 2-Bunches of green onions, the sauted onions, chopped up bacon, Cilantro and blended up green chilis etc... 


At this stage before I added the Cheese sauce I started tasting. Adjust from here.....




I used 3 lbs of Chicken thighsthat were dry-brined @ 24-Hours in advanced with this Mojito blend. I love SV-Chicken and if you have these on hand go for it!! Whether the chicken was sous-vide or raw give it a quick sear and chop up. BTW- I think 4 lbs would have been better. Even if it's not cooked through it will finish cooking when baked. 


Use what ever cheese you want!!! I chose these blends!!! Do not use prepackaged cheese. Prepackaged cheese is coated with starch to prevent clumping and sticking. 




I used 3% of Sodium Citrate!! I calculated the percentage based on the weight of the Cheese blend above. Not necessary to calucale for Parm or Creamcheese. 

3lbs= 1361 grams X 3% (or 0.03) = 40.83 grams and this is what I used in SC. 



Toss in milk, cream and Sodium Citrate. Stir very well on a low flame. When the dairy starts to get warm add cheeses slowly. Start tasting for salt content. Add some other goodies like spices, herbs and franks hot sauce or what ever you want. Keep tasting!!!!!



Toss in chicken and combine thoroughly....



This is the fun part!!! Toss in cheese sauce and keep tasting and adjusting until you get it right. It needs to be very creamy!! I had to add more milk and creamy until I got it right. 




For the topping I used panko, lots of melted butter, species and herbs... and of course Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math