Kalbi. Short Ribs (Sous-Vide)

  I've been making Kalbi Short Ribs (Korean Style) for years and have not made Blog-Post because they are easy to make. I never saw a need to write one up until now. One of the Facebook Groups I admin asked what would be a good time and temp for these ribs, and the suggestions he received were not the most helpful. I've tried low temps with long cooks, but the fat never really rendered down to our liking. Some people are obsessed with Medium or Rare or Rare meat, but I am here to tell you that these ribs need much higher temps. It's similar to my Oxtail temps but less time, of course. 



This is what I used, but I've used many other types of rubs or just plain salt. Fish-Salt is just amazing and brings out the UMAI and beefiness. Use whatever you want!! If you want to marinade, knock yourself out. There are no rules!!


Whatever spices or salt you decided to put on the ribs, they will need at least 12-24-Hours to dry-brine. 

All vac Sealed!!! 167f at 8-Hours will give you an aldente chew. If you want a whole less chew, add another 4-Hours. After processing, they were shocked and refrigerated. Grilling them from a cold state will produce better results. Optional-Warm-Aging to increase tenderness without sacrificing moisture (113f @3-4 Hours)


All sauced up!! My go-to sauce is always made on the fly. Making an Asian sauce is like making any other good BBQ Sauce. I used my taste buds to guide me. Ingredients- Gochujang, Mayo, Sesame Seed oil, Small Amount of Ketchup, Soy-Sauce, Fish-Sauce, Hoisin-Sauce, Sweet Chili sauce, Powdered-Ginger, and lastly a little bit of Garlic & Onion Powder. I've used other ingredients in the past, but it's all about what I am in the mood for. If I have miso on hand, I use that too. 










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math