Faux-Funk-Aged-Steak (Sous-Vide)

This post is a continuation and supplement to my previous post titled Review of Chef Steps Sous-Vide-Faux-Age-Beef (The Modernist Strategy to Dry Age Beef). After posting this, I went on a search to find out if this is a new method. I found many variations using Blue-Cheese (nothing specific), sometimes Fish-Sauce and Koji. Most of the blends were not detailed or precise, and the ones that were used volume as their only measurement. I've been Faux-Aging with Fish-Salt/Sauce for years, so this is just up my alley to try. 

I decided to try different Blue-Cheeses but stick with the 72-Hours time frame because that seemed to produce the best results. I also chose different percentages of Blue-Cheese 2%, 4%, and 6% based on the protein's weight. I.e., 1000-gram steak at 6% would need 60 grams of Blue-Cheese. I selected Roquefort because it's made from Sheep's Milk. But note, I love all Blue-Cheeses. Although I love Stilton Blue-Cheese, the Roquefort Cheese was better, in my opinion, for this application. 

And a friend  of mine made this observation and I agree with him wholehearlty- "I think sheep's cheese has a little more of the herby funk that reminds me of a funky wet-aged Ribeye" Johnny James Gabaldon







I kept this method very
simple. 2% of both Fish-Sauce and Koji. Same products I used in the original post linked above. Each steak will receive 2%, 4%, and 6% of Blue-Cheese. Everything is measured out and placed in separate bowls for blending. Note: it helps if the cheese is at room temp.s



I used a Nutrabullet to blend the Fish-Sauce, Koji, and Cheese into a creamy mixture. Brush on the mixture and carefully place it in a vac bag (massage bag). Refrigerate for 72-Hours. I processed at 113f at 4-Hrs  (2-Stage-cooking aka Warm-Aging) than finished at 128f for 4-Hours. 


After the steaks were removed from the bath they were cooled on the counter for about 10-Minutes and flipped once. Steaks were removed from the vac bag, rinsed under cold water, and dried thoroughly. Peppered and seared in a Carbon Steelpan at 550f for 30-secs aside.

Review below.....Final thoughts are located below Review. 



We loved all the steaks. If you've never had an aged steak beyond 28-Days, this comes close. It's important to mention that aged primals are usually prime meat. If you don't like Blue Cheese, you might not like this Faux-Aged method. 


Guess what I am doing it again. This time I will be using most likely several Flat-Iron Steaks. We will be doing side by side testing. Steak 1- 2% Fish-Sauce, 2% Koji and 6% Blue Cheese. Steak 2- 2% Fish-Sauce. Steak 3- 1.3% Fish-Salt. Steak 4- .60% Kosher Salt (Dry-Brined for 24-hrs). Steak 5- No seasonings at all until we sear. Steak 6- No Advanced Dry-Brining, but salt applied right before processing in the bath. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math