Chicken & Banana Curry Sauce

What do you do with very ripe Bananas? Why not make a sauce. The thought for the dish came from watching the Food Channel. I saw this dish called Flying Jacob, which is a Sweedish Caserle Dish that incorporates Bananas. I've never made a savory dish using bananas, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Not sure why, but I thought curry would work well with Bananas. Maybe it was the color? Anyhow, I am glad I did because it came out very well.


The fat I used for this dish was Schmaltz, which is made from chicken fat. You can use any fat you want, but I love chicken fat, and since this dish has chicken, it will enhance the flavor.


I used about 3 lbs (1.4 Kg)) of Chicken thighs. The chicken thighs were coated with a combo of Tandori Masala and Curry Powder. I also used a non-salt seasoning that had garlic and a few other herbs and spices. 

The Chicken thighs were cooked on Med-Hi until they were golden. Note: I was not worried about the internal temp. The Chicken was only cooked about 75% of the way through. After the thighs attained the color I was looking for, I set them aside in a large bowl to cool a bit. The collected juices at the bottom of the container will be used for the sauce, so please save. Note: You also Sous-Process the Chicken thighs too. 


To the same pan, I added a huge sliced onion and sauteed until nice and golden. I added just a hint of salt too. 


Dice the chicken up.......Notice the color? Not cooked through. 



This sauce can be made a day or two ahead and can be modified to suit your palate. Taste away and make it yours. As an option, you could use Hot Curry, Cayenne Pepper, Spicy Chili Ketchup. Change up the viscosity, too, if you like. This recipe will make enough sauce to accommodate about 3 lbs of Chicken. The amount of Banana is up to you. It was essential to me for the Banana taste to come through, which it did. Note: I tossed everything into a VitaMix to process. 




Once the onions reach the desired color, I tossed in the Chicken. As an option, I added finely chopped Gribenes, which I always have on hand. 



Add the Curry Sauce and Green onion. 

Cook until chicken is cooked through. I think it simmered for about 30 minutes. 




Serve over your favorite rice. For this dish, there could be no other rice than Basmati Rice. And as an option toss some crushed peanuts on top. 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math