Veal Involtini

Again, this brings me back to my early childhood sitting at my Grandfather's kitchen table while he prepared his take on Italian Classics. The Kitchen was small, and so was the table. In those days (60 & 70's), everyone used their kitchen table as their prep area. 


My Grandfather on my Dad's side was the epitome of everything Italian and Sicilian. Adding to this stereotype, of course, was the fact he owned a bar too. I am not kidding, either. The Co-Owner of the bar was......let's just say he was an unsavory type. The Bar was called the Queen's Bar. Everyone in the neighborhood hung out at the bar. And yes, before you ask, it was a hangout for the "M". Poppi (that's what we called my Grandfather) made a lot of food for the bar, and everyone loved eating there. It was not a restaurant mind you but a dark and gloomy bar. Anyhow he just loved to cook and share hi,s food, and that's what he did. Oh, and he never charged anyone for his food either. Anyhow more on that at a later time.
Although my fond childhood memories serve as a platform for this dish, Poppi made the traditional Braciola, which is braised (or at least he was). Note: the Involtini name is the Italian name, and the Braciola is the American name for virtually the same dish. Based on what I know, all Braciolas are braised, and Involtini can be both braised and fried. 


This is not exactly a recipe but something I threw together quickly because Veal Scallopini was available. In the NW, this is not common meat to have on the shelves, so when it's available.... BUY BUY. Just a note about this meat. I could have used very thin cut top round, meat, but it would have made for a very tough Involtini. If I were going to make a traditional Braciola, it would have been fine, of course, due to the braising. 

I took a one-gallon bag and cut it open on all sides but one. This technique is great for pounding out meat. Before you pound out the meat, add just a little bit of moisture to the veal; that way, it will spread out inside the plastic without tearing. 



Take a medium onion or shallots whatever you have on hand, salt, pepper, red pepper, herbs, etc. Saute until slightly browned. 


To a small food processor (or whatever) puree to a medium texture Sun-dried Tomatoes, Garlic, and Parsley.

Toast some pine nuts and set aside. 

Toss the above mixture in a skillet containing Onions and saute for a few minutes. Add your toasted pine nuts, and you're done. Don't forget to taste the food and adjust where needed. 


Toss everything in a bowl and let cool slightly before proceeding to the next step. 





Add an egg to bind and some cream for extra fatty goodness. Add some breadcrumbs too. 





Let's not forget the cheese (Pecorino or Parmigiano Reggiano are my two favorites). Add your favorite Balsamic Vinegar and you're done. 














Choose your favorite Salumi and get ready to roll them up. 



Add the cooled mixture you created and top with some additional cheese. 



Roll these babies up into cute bundles of joy. Note: Involtini (a diminutive form of involti) means little bundles. 




Crack a few eggs and season to your heart's delight. 






Do the same thing to the AP flour and Italian bread crumbs. I like adding cheese and parsley to the breadcrumbs, among the goodies. 


I only have two hands, and they were messy, which explains why I don't have additional photos. So how do you bread these little bundles? I am assuming you have the necessary kitchen skills so that I will keep this short. Flour the bundles first, Dip in egg and get a good coating on them, then bread them making sure to tuck in all the meat to create a football-like shape. Refrigerate uncovered for at least 45 minutes before proceeding.




Fry until golden brown (Olive Oil is my preference). During the frying process, I like to scoop hot oil on top of the bundles, which promotes even browning. 


Drain on paper towels.
Plate... Had I had Cognac, I would have made a cream sauce too. Dang next time.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math