SW Chicken Chili Verde Chowder



A hodgepodge of ingredients that takes two nominal dishes and makes them into one glorious meal. Don't excited yet this isn't a recipe but just a transcript of something I put together that can be easily replicated. In fact you can mix and match other ingredients to make it your own. 
One of the first things I did was make my version of an Adobo seasoning. I wish I had a definitive recipe but alas I don't. 

I mixed together different quantities of the following ingredients until I had what I thought tasted good. Granulated Garlic and Onion, Smoked Paprika, Ancho Chili Powder, Mexican Oregano, Pepper, Salt, and Lime Zest (fresh or dehydrated). 

I assembled the following ingredients. Bell Peppers, Anaheim Peppers, Poblanos Chili, Tomatillos, Onions and tossed them on the grill to toast. Adding grilled veggies to this dish takes it to the next level.




I prepped the potatoes and parsnips by peeling and cutting them into half inch pieces.





Lots of garlic standing by!!!!  Let's not forget your favorite Stout beer. Some for the cook and some for the dish. 




I used Boneless Skinless Chicken thighs for this kick ass dish and coated them with the Adobe seasoning mix I made earlier. I grilled them and cut them into small bite size pieces.


No Chowder would be complete without Corn. Not to worry because we are going to grill it off.


Some toppings could include Cilantro and green onions like I did but you can use anything you want.  





Nothing better than Jack and Cotija Cheese as an additional topping. 
I don't have a picture but you need Mexican Crema for this dish. Easy to make: Mix together Sour Cream, Heavy Cream with a little salt. 





Everything's better with Avocado. Make sure to get ripe ones and peel them carefully so that you can slice them neatly. Makes a great addition to the dish and adds color. 





PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER 



Remove the stems from the peppers and place everything in a blender and process until desired texture. My preference was somewhere between a chunky and coarse.


Add some olive oil to a very large pot and add a huge amount of chopped onions. Add some of the Adobo seasoning. Saute until slightly caramelized.


Toss in your chopped garlic and do the same thing. 





Add your root veggies (some more Adobo) and saute for a bit then add the Candy roasted garlic. Deglaze with lots of beer.





This is where everything gets tossed in the pool. Toss in the cilantro, green onions etc....start building the chowder.

Grill it naked. You want the charred pieces of corn floating around in your chowder.





Toss in chicken stock, some more seasoning if need be and keep adjusting until you get it right. Add as much cream as you want to bring out the chowder color and flavor. 






At the end you will make a Roux which will help you thicken the Chowder. When you're completely satisfied with the viscosity adjust the seasoning and you're done. 









SERVE IT UP WITH ALL THE GOODIES..







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math