"Duck a la me"

Salami Duck à l'orange Fettuccine is probably a better name for the dish but I wanted the name to be avant-garde (Hoity-Toity french word) since this recipe is so unconventional. 

Over the years I have come across recipes for Duck a' l'orange but never thought about making it myself until now. The Hoity-Toity name was also a reason at least for me not to make this dish. To be honest I am not sure what bothered me about the name but I guess one excuse is as good an another. BTW-this is an old Yiddish proverb that is used regularly "if you dont want to do something, one excuse is as good as another" 

I'm not sure if this really qualifies as Duck l'orange because I'm not using a whole duck and I added Fettuccine hence the name "Duck a la me". This recipe came out of left field because I wanted to use my homemade Duck Salami so donning my yiddisher kop I created what I presume is a unique tasty dish. The only thing I knew about the original dish was the Hoity-Toity name and the ingredients which included duck and oranges. 

The first thing I did was to collect the ingredients I believe would work well with the my duck. Since the dish has oranges in it that's the first thing I grabbed. Of course I removed the ZEST for later use.





I had to add an onion component so I thought to myself hmmm....shallots are mild enough not to over power the oranges and of course onions were out of the question.



I also added couple of Roma Tomatoes seeded and chopped, minced chives, minced garlic, fresh Italian parsley, and of course my duck salami. I added Chicken stock also but would have preferred veal stock if I had any.


Oh yea..... obviously salt and pepper. If you have white pepper use this instead of black pepper because this will compliment the salami which was also made with white peppercorns. 



Putting it all together was really simple. Saute in a large skillet shallots, garlic in lots of butter. After the shallots and garlic start taking on some color deglaze pan with fresh orange juice. Strain everything through a fine mesh or a chinois and reserved your orange concoction. 


The next steps are easy too. Add more butter to the pan that was used for the shallots and garlic and toss in the Tomatoes, salt and pepper. Saute for a couple of minutes then add ZEST. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes until you start smelling wonderful aromas coming off the pan and the tomatoes really start to soften.  

Toss in a couple of cups of chicken broth/stock and reduce a bit. Add reserved orange sauce.  Adjust for seasoning and viscosity. Add minced chives and duck. Add a little bit of parsley. If you want more sweetness add sugar. Toss your pasta with the sauce and your done. 




Remember duck fat melts quickly so serve quickly. Top with a little fresh parsley and cheese and manger 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math