Kosher-Dosher the Story.........

LOWER EAST SIDE NYC LATE 1800'S

The picture to the left is from the Lower East Side of NYC. This is where my family settled in after they arrived from Eastern Europe and Sicily.

Between 1880 and 1920, roughly 2 million Jewish people immigrated to the US from Eastern Europe and Russia. Suddenly, the foods of a people dispersed for nearly 2000 years (plus 400 in the desert) came together in one corner of Manhattan and started cooking and sharing their unique recipes. Jewish food is eclectic and unique, depending on your family and traditions. It's not just bagels and lox.

 


My Dad and Sister April 65, I was 4 months old.
My Mom April 65

My love affair with food started when I was just a young boy growing up in Brooklyn, NY. Both my parents are Jewish, and with that, each group had its own traditions, which meant for me being open to many kinds of food. Growing up in the melting pot of NYC is a great way to learn and experience food. Becoming a Foodie did not happen until I entered the US NAVY. I was kind of a foodie when I was a kid, meaning I got to eat fantastic food made by family and friends. Experiencing the food in the melting pot was and is an experience I now call a privilege. It wasn't until I entered the Navy that I came to the realization that my foodie experience in NYC was not the norm. When I first started experiencing food outside NYC, I was rudely awakened and aghast as to what other people and cultures thought about food.  This started me out on my journey to become what I call a foodie. 

Why Kosher Dosher?  When I was a kid, Kosher Dosher meant everything was OK, and I have always liked the phrase.  Also, I do not eat Pork and shellfish, etc. etc. hence Kosher Dosher………I do not keep Rabbinical Kastrut, although I have the utmost respect for this practice. A large percentage of my family keeps Kastrut. I would define my Kosher as Biblically based. Please consult the Torah for what is and what is not permissible. 

I'm epicurism who is devoted to refined sensuous enjoyment of food, so therefore you may call me a Foodie!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burnt Ends the Sous-Vide way!!!

Eye-of-Round (Sous-Vide)

Curing Notes and some Math